"I suppose that since most of our hurts come from relationships, so will our healing..." WM Paul Young





"Only after one experiences the incredible pain of loss, can he appreciate the unbelievable joy of restoration"

Larry Reimer

Saturday, September 09, 2006

Response to some comments left for me

Pictures of me on my birthday…
I was too busy having fun to take pictures of myself on my birthday. A couple of the ladies here found out it was my birthday so they took me out for a milkshake immediately after class. Now I figure most of the guys here would be jealous if they found out about this because they can’t even get one girl out to a restaurant and I had two – taking me!!! OK, maybe the guys could do it but just haven’t tried… In the evening, I went to someone’s home and since the host found out about the big day, there was ice cream, chocolate cake, candles, and the famous song. I had a great evening and got home late. Although I’m not with family and I’m away from my friends back home, I’m meeting a ton of great people and starting to develop some good friendships. These people made sure I had a great day! Since I don’t have any pictures of me on the day, I’ll just tell you with a sudden shift of appearance I’m looking younger all the time. Although I’ve spent the last 15 years of my life being told I look older than I actually am (which can be incredibly painful and destructive to someone as insecure as me), I’ve had two people tell me in the last two days that I don’t look as old as I am. I told one of them I had shaved that morning and that probably made the difference - she didn't buy the reasoning.

Australian tax system…
I have not yet taken the time to enjoy learning the system out here but this much I can tell you…This country has something right that the rest of the highly taxed world should learn from. When an item says $5.95, that’s what you pay, there’s no such thing as looking at the price then wondering what $5.95 plus 13%, 14%, or 6% (depending which Canadian province you’re in) is. Tax is included in the price. I also know that if I get a tax file number, I’m better off having money in a savings account here because the interest rate is higher; but if I don’t have a tax file number, they with-hold about 45% of the interest for tax and I’m then better off keeping the money in Canada

Does the water spin the other way…
Before I left Canada, I spent a lot of time and used a lot of water repeating a highly scientific experiment to determine which way water spins when it drains so I could do a proper comparison. My results showed that it spins counter clockwise about 65% of the time. Based on the laws of statistics, that’s not enough to conclude beyond reasonable doubt which way it spins, but for the average person it’s good enough. Last night I did another highly scientific experiment. Sydney has been in a dry season for a while now so I can’t use a lot of water doing this but I had done dishes and had water in the sink to I watched as it drained and took note of which way it spun. I achieved the same result 100% of the time I watched water drain in a sink and can conclude that it does in fact drain clockwise – exactly opposite of the direction it drains in Canada. In case anyone is wondering, I did try this with the toilet in the airplane somewhere near the equator but was unable to produce any real results. I came to the conclusion that when you flush a toilet over the ocean, it just opens a hatch to the outside of the plane and anything in the toilet is sucked out at 600 miles per hour…Be careful next time you’re taking a canoe across the ocean, there could be some nasty stuff coming out of the airplane above :-)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi larry

I just finish reading your web page, it's so awesome to be able to read & see pictures while your way out their. Awewsome to hear that you made it out there safe. Happy belated birthday... I can't image how it would be to be able to worship with that many people from all over the world... Thank you for keeping us informed. Keep it up, looking forward to hearing more... Enjoy... Take Care, May God Bless.... Our prayers are with you....

Jeff & Susan

Anonymous said...

Dear Larry,
We haven't missed your Birthday because it's still the 8th for us. So, Happy Birthday "to Dear Uncle Larry from Zachery",Toby and Micah. And from Gary,Mary and Vern's Pizza(John). Thankyou for the humor about the toilet.Toby laughed.