"I suppose that since most of our hurts come from relationships, so will our healing..." WM Paul Young





"Only after one experiences the incredible pain of loss, can he appreciate the unbelievable joy of restoration"

Larry Reimer

Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Travel's done

Well, the day is done. I got up 37 hours ago, looked at a house which I may be moving into when I get back to Sydney, finished packing, said goodbye to some friends, and started my travels. This time around I got smart and took a sleeping pill on the plane and managed to get over 4 hours of sleep during the 14 hour flight from Sydney to L.A. That’s double the sleep I got travelling to Sydney!!! I am getting tired now though (4 hours in the last 37 is a bit short).

So on my arrival at the airport, I went through security – no problems, went through customs – no problems, went through secondary security because I was flying to USA – no problem. I arrived in L.A. and had to join everyone else going through US customs although I was only flying through. At this point I wondered why I had gone through customs in Sydney… but whatever. As I approached the customs desk, I saw a sign promising a friendly welcome, courteous treatment, fair treatment, etc. Now I know what you’re all expecting so I have to be honest. No problem at customs. They followed through with the pledge on the sign. After this, I had to get my luggage and re-check it even though I was flying through on the same carrier (didn’t have to do this on the way to Sydney) and follow directions to the area for continuing passengers. I followed the directions through a door, up an elevator, and on to what I hoped was the right side of security. At this point I was told I needed to go down the escalator to the back of the line that apparently started there (where I had just been sent from). When I explained that another airport agent had sent me this way together with some other people he was barking at (yes barking) He very sharply interrupted and said “And I’m telling you to go down there!” Maybe I’m wrong here but communication issues (different directions coming from different employees in the same area) ??? Courtesy issues??? A friendly welcome??? I guess the pledge on the sign doesn’t apply to airport personnel, only to customs officials. Now as I think back, if this employee was the only American exposure I’d have had, I can definitely see why people don’t like Americans! Fortunately, I’ve had many more experiences with Americans and I find this man to be the exception and I still like the people of that great nation. So I went outside and joined all the people coming in off the street in going through security again – no problems. I now had to wonder not only about going through customs twice and security twice, but now security three times – for the same trip. Again, maybe it’s just me, but if I have no banned substances the first time through security, or the second time, and I have no opportunity to get banned substances because I’ve been inside a controlled area the whole time, will I have banned substances the third time? It would be so much easier to just let continuing passengers through the hallway past security once clearing customs one time. But I guess that would cut down the number of employees, so it would put people out of work and potentially lower ticket prices; and it would save an hour or two for every passenger making this flight. Wouldn’t want to increase those efficiencies! Lesson for the day; if you’re doing an international flight with a layover in Los Angeles, make sure you have at least two hours extra to clear customs and airport security – even if you’ve already cleared those places once, twice, or more in the same trip. Maybe one day the people at that airport will learn from McDonalds that a burger is better if it’s only fried once. On to Denver…

“Attention please, passengers on United flight 6648 to Winnipeg. We seem to have a problem with the booking on this flight and as a result are looking for two volunteers to come forward and give up their seat on tonight’s flight. In return, we will book you on a flight the same time tomorrow or you can choose to fly through Chicago on an earlier flight tomorrow. We will also put you up in a hotel for the night, provided you with a good dinner and breakfast, and give you your choice of a free round trip to any North American United destination or US$600 towards another United flight.” Upon hearing this, I decided to volunteer myself. I talked with the agent and called home to confirm my ride from the airport hadn’t left home yet, and then was told “We’ll tell you either way” “what do you mean ‘either way’?” I thought, “You asked for a volunteer and here I am. Now you’re changing your mind?” So I waited until everyone else had boarded the plane and my luggage had been removed. They then told the other volunteer and me that we could board the plane after all (I think there were some other no-show’s) so I had to call home and tell the people to come pick me up from the Winnipeg airport after all. “Go ahead and call home. You’ve got 4 minutes till departure” I had to laugh at this one. They do all this last minute stuff that I volunteer for and then tell me I’ve got four minutes or the plane will leave without me because I offered to help them out. I laugh even now as I write this! They wouldn’t actually have left without me. They knew what I was doing and were ok with it…and my luggage did make it back onto the airplane!

“As your crew about United flight 6648, we would like to thank you for flying United; and let us be the first to welcome you to Winnipeg…you can pick up your luggage after passing through customs...” And one last time I had the privilege of answering questions for official with the authority to send me home (oops, that’s were I am now) detain me, do the wonderful searches that people are concerned about, question me endlessly about where I’ve been, how long I’ve been gone, why I was there, how old I am, what my shoe size is, when the last time is I used the – you get the picture. And one last time, I was asked no more than half a dozen questions before the agent decided that I’m a safe and honest law abiding person; and welcomed me through the gate.

What awaited me on the other side of the door were some very excited people. I heard from a third party (who shall remain anonymous for the time) that some of the people there were almost (or maybe completely) jumping for joy when they saw me waiting for my luggage before I could go through the doors to meet them. Hugs all around and I’m home with family. It’s great to be loved.

I heard my niece (who’s house I’m staying at) was in tears earlier tonight that I wasn’t here yet so I need to make sure I’m up in the morning before she heads off to school. Based on my body’s sleep schedule from Sydney, with the time change, I should be going to bed soon and getting up around 2 in the afternoon. She leaves for school closer to 8:30 in the morning so I’ll be getting up early. Need to get some sleep.

I’ll try to get some pictures up in the next couple of days too.

2 comments:

Ryan Tompkins said...

i'm glad i stayed in sydney!

we miss you already larry. it's pretty quiet around rosa crescent. it won't be long though and you'll be back here sweating like a pig with the rest of us.

ryan

Anonymous said...

Welcome home Larry. Trust you will have a good time with family and friends.
gb