"I suppose that since most of our hurts come from relationships, so will our healing..." WM Paul Young





"Only after one experiences the incredible pain of loss, can he appreciate the unbelievable joy of restoration"

Larry Reimer

Friday, December 22, 2006

First week at home

I just have to tell this story… Over the last month or so, I’ve been trying to decide if I needed to share in church what God has done in my life in the last couple of years. (for those of you reading this who don’t know my life over the last few years; I had an incredible marriage with a phenomenal woman and just before our fifth anniversary in 2002, she was diagnosed with cancer. She died from it in May 2005. God has done some incredible things in my life during the time of sickness and following her death) As I was thinking and praying about this, I felt strongly that God wanted me to share in the church I grew up in so I made contact with the pastor there and arranged to speak there for a few minutes. I also wanted to share in my current church but wasn’t sure if that desire was only mine or if it too came from the Lord; so I said to Him that I was very willing but considering my lack of confidence that the desire was from Him, I would not pursue it so if He wanted me up, he should get the pastor to ask me for this and I would consider that confirmation. My pastor spends a lot of time in prayer every day and gets a lot of direction as a result of this. So my first weekend at home, I was in the choir (which was great!!!) and he saw me there. As we walked off stage after the worship time and went out the back door, my pastor was there waiting for me. He had left the service that was continuing at the time to come ask me to share next weekend! Can’t tell me God doesn’t speak to people today!
I’ve been enjoying time with friends and family. So far every evening has been busy with something. One friend asked if I had been running around like a chicken with it’s head cut off and I said I had been hoping for that but it hadn’t been the case. Side-note: In case anyone from around home is reading this while I’m at home, I am quite busy at this point but that’s the reason I came home. Please call me at my brother’s place (I will not post his name or phone number on this site for privacy reasons but if you don’t have it, leave me a message with your email address or phone number – include in your message a request for me to not publish the message – and I will send you his number or call you) to set up a time to spend time together. No matter how busy I get, my whole purpose in coming home for Christmas is to spend time with people so I want to make it very clear that I want to have something up all the time. I can relax after my time a home.) I’ve spent some time working on an ice rink here and have been enjoying the fresh air outside. It’s been great weather and I feel like I’m starting to adjust to winter again. I spent an hour playing badminton with a friend and it was great just to be so active. Unfortunately, I’m not in the greatest shape of my life and I’m feeling the results of an intense activity that I’m not used to. We’re hoping to get another round or two in yet before I head back to Australia.
I’m planning to head out to another province in a few days so my travel begins again; this time with a ten hour drive starting after sharing in two services Sunday morning. I’ve already bought the energy drink to make sure I’m awake for the driving time. I have a gathering to be at the next day.
I’ve had some contact with some friends who are staying in Sydney over Christmas and I miss them and feel like I’m missing out on things there but I’m enjoying where I’m at too.

No comments: