"I suppose that since most of our hurts come from relationships, so will our healing..." WM Paul Young





"Only after one experiences the incredible pain of loss, can he appreciate the unbelievable joy of restoration"

Larry Reimer

Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Thanksgiving

Two thanksgiving parties in a country that doesn't even know what the holiday is... Now that's how to start influencing another land. I had one on Saturday with a small gruop of some of my better friends then had another one on Monday with about 25 other Canadians. They were both great and I had to make sure I didn't eat too much on Sunday because of the two days of feasting before and after. I've got details below of the one on Monday but thought I'd put a link http://ryamy.blogspot.com/ to another blog where one of my friends here has posted details about the one on Saturday (From his perspective).


We had a Canadian Thanksgiving party on Monday which we all really enjoyed. It was great to be together with people from my homeland who ask where you’re from and mean which province – and it means something to them when you answer; who know my national anthem and more importantly, the theme song for Hockey Night in Canada J; who speak somewhat similar to me; who know what a toonie is; and who have some idea what snow is all about. In this meeting I was actually able to play the Mennonite Game!!! The closest connection I found was that I know part of the family of one of the girls’ uncles but she knew my home town and has some friends living in the Osler and Warman area!


The most important thing for a Canadian Thanksgiving party is food, and specifically dessert; at least that’s the conclusion I’ve come to since we had a potluck lunch and had just enough regular food but lots of extra desserts.

Notice the pie with "EH" on it...I was told you can't find pumpkin in Australia and most people here have missed pumpkin pie for a long time so I found pumpkin and made a few pies!!!! They were the best pies I've ever had - or maybe they just reminded me of home.





What's anything about Canada without Tim Hortons Coffee?!!! No, I didn't have any, but it sure felt more like home and many others almost thought they were in heaven








Some of the people decided to act like they were in a parade and started "playing the bagpipes" by plugging their noses, making a horrendous sound through their mouths, and hitting their throats at the same time. It sounded about as good as the real bagpipes - don't believe me? I got a video I can show you when I get home.





This man is amazing! He's actually an Australian but he has a heart for Canada like no one I know. God has just laid a burden in him for my home country. He's never seen an NHL hockey game but ask him a question about hockey and he can talk for hours. He knows more stats about the NHL and CFL than most Canadians. Even though He's not from our country, he was invited to our party and I've dubbed him the honorary Canadian.

3 comments:

Krystle said...

I'm glad that you were there to spend Thanksgiving with my friends Ryan and Amy.

Good luck in the coming year and I hope that you guys have tons of fun together (they're def. great people to be around..speaking from experience)

God Speed..

Krystle
(from Canada)

Anonymous said...

Hi There! I'm having computer trouble. Can you help me? Before I was getting an email, but I had to go do something else cuz it was taking a while to download. I clicked on the hang up when done box and now as soon as I go into Outlook, it hangs up. I can't get back to where the box is to change it back. It always says error. I'll go to sleep and seeing as how you are up all night any way, maybe I'll have my answer in the morning. by the way, it snowed yesturday and today. Mikayla wore boots and a toque, a parka and skipants to school. She said she had still been cold at recess. Enjoy your winter!!!!

Anonymous said...

Looks like you had a great thanksgiving and Yummy FOOD!
gb