"I suppose that since most of our hurts come from relationships, so will our healing..." WM Paul Young





"Only after one experiences the incredible pain of loss, can he appreciate the unbelievable joy of restoration"

Larry Reimer

Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Suffering for the Cause

So I was checking into the cost of getting back to Sydney after Christmas and all of the standard options are expensive. I checked with three travel agents and a number of different web sites and found the cheapest direct flight would be booked online instead of through a travel agent and would cost more than my ticket when I came here the first time; and would have some extra hassles with it. After much searching, I got as creative as my accountant-type mind can and checked two different airlines for separate tickets meeting in the middle. Here’s what I found.

Canadian carrier Westjet has a seat sale from Winnipeg to Honolulu and Australian carrier Qantas has a seat sale from Sydney to Honolulu and back ($150 cheaper to get a return ticket instead of getting a one way from Honolulu to Sydney). As a result of these two seat sales, it’s substantially cheaper to take this option than to buy a direct flight.

Now everyone knows it’s not wise to get tickets with two different carriers without allowing enough time between flights; just in case the first one is delayed (a very real possibility for a flight out of Winnipeg in January) so I felt I needed to make sure I had enough time between the flights. Also playing into the equation is a limited flight selection by the time I had made enough other arrangements to actually buy the tickets; but in the end, the tickets end up leaving me stranded in Hawaii for 5 days in January. The savings in ticket prices will cover about half my costs while I’m there, and as a result of doing this, I could save between $500 and $1,000 on plane tickets next Christmas – and save hassles of changing flight dates around mid-year. All in all, it looks like I’ll be saving money by spending some time in Honolulu.

Now I realize there’s a price to be paid for going to school and getting into ministry; so I’m willing to do this. If any of you has been to Honolulu before and has some good advice for me on what to see and where to stay while I’m there, please leave me a post with that advice or send me an email. I appreciate all the help I can get in minimizing the difficulties I have to endure in spending this time on a small island in the middle of the Pacific.

3 comments:

Kim said...

lol too funny! Aww i feel for you Larry..
My parents have been to honolulu 2 times, so i could get some advice from them and get back to you..

You'll be making huge sacrifices while you're out there.. i mean being in a hot place in the middle of canadian winter, thats gonna be torture, never mind that in aussieland the conditions wont be any better.. just warm warm warm.. cant be good..

Betty said...

I feel for you, Larry. The best advice I can give you to make your time in Honolulu more bearable would be to use some of that extra money to fly someone out to share you burden with you. Someone close, like a sister or something.

Anonymous said...

My that sound depressing having to stop in that deserted island. Maybe I can fly back there with you to keep you company. I could handle a few days of nothing to do