"I suppose that since most of our hurts come from relationships, so will our healing..." WM Paul Young





"Only after one experiences the incredible pain of loss, can he appreciate the unbelievable joy of restoration"

Larry Reimer

Thursday, November 09, 2006

Time to let it out

There’s something I have not said on this blog yet but I think the time has come. Actually the time has come because I feel it’s time for an update but I don’t know what to write.

I’ve come to the realization that one of the most amazing things about the Hillsong Church is that the church does something well in such a laidback society.

From the day I got here, I’ve noticed poor quality in almost everything and I thought at first that it was just my perfectionist nature coming out. It’s not.

Case one:
I was talking about this with another man the other day and he said he and his wife had started a business when they got here and had a really hard time selling something with quality attached to it. He had actually been told by some Aussie’s not to bother trying to do quality because it wouldn’t sell.

Case two:
In Canada, if you measure one step in a staircase, you can generally tell the size of the rest. Not so here. You might be walking down a flight of stairs and all of them are the same height until the last and then there’s an extra inch on one step. Or this extra inch might be in the middle of the staircase.

Case three:
Driving down the road, every second car has a dent in it. To many reasons to get into why.

Case four:
A million dollar house is built and there are half inch gaps between the door and the frame.

Case five:
Paving stone in used in a lot of places but a proper foundation is seldom laid so the bricks are loose, move freely when you walk, and do not keep their position for long

Case six:
There’s an apartment building being built across the street from my place. When I got here two and a half months ago, there were four floors to it. There are now 4 and a quarter floors to it. Any slower and they’ll have to redo the bottom before the top is finished. Now the problem isn’t actually the speed of their work but I’m looking at it from about 200 yards away and I can see from here that the concrete is not strong. Anyone who’s worked with concrete would know this is a problem. From a few feet away, I should be able to tell; but not from 200 yards!

Well, there’s someone here to check the value of the property I’m in so I need to go. So long

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Larry, I enjoyed this article particularly much since I work with building stuff. Here is a link to follow. I have just started writing editorials on football.

http://www.mysteinbach.ca/editorials.htm

Trevor

Larry Reimer said...

Great job on the editorial Trev - people, this is worth the read even if you're not a football fan just for the humour in it. I'm not sure why this site won't let you follow the link he left but you can just copy the address into your browser and go.