"I suppose that since most of our hurts come from relationships, so will our healing..." WM Paul Young





"Only after one experiences the incredible pain of loss, can he appreciate the unbelievable joy of restoration"

Larry Reimer

Sunday, December 09, 2007

Africa

For those of you not on facebook, I’ve got some surprising news to share… On Friday, one of the pastors at Hillsong (Chris Mendez) contacted me to see if I’m up for a trip to Africa. If the flights he was booked on hadn’t been full, it would have taken less than 2 hours from the time I first heard about it to the time it was all set up. As it turned out, it took a few hours extra to find reasonable flight options so it was finalized Saturday morning. So the plan now is to leave Sydney on Jan 10, travelling through Bangkok. Arriving in Uganda on the 11th, I’ll spend the next 10 days or so seeing Watoto and Compassion sites there and in Kenya. It will be an action packed time and as Chris put it “We’ll be doing a lot of things tired.” I’m also doing what I can to see a girl I’ve been sponsoring in Uganda for a number of years.

I’m shocked, excited, in awe, and thankful all at the same time. I was hoping to go to Uganda and had to cancel my plans because of knee trouble and now I have another opportunity that was not expected. The other trip would have been a work project mixed with a bit of other stuff with people I’ve never met before and this one will be seeing the bigger picture of a couple of great organizations having a significant impact on extremely poor countries while travelling with one of my pastors and friends. In a lot of ways, it’s almost as though I gave up something because of a physical injury and have been blessed with a better opportunity. Not that the other one was bad or lacking in any way, but this one somehow seems like it will have a bigger impact on my life. God is good.

No comments: