"I suppose that since most of our hurts come from relationships, so will our healing..." WM Paul Young





"Only after one experiences the incredible pain of loss, can he appreciate the unbelievable joy of restoration"

Larry Reimer

Saturday, March 31, 2007

Trailer trouble and birthday party

I was writing an email to a friend of mine and realized I had a good story for the blog and I hadn’t put it up here yet.

One of our weekly ministry teams was on their way to a community to help out in the area and long after they should have been there, my supervisor received a phone call from their leader. When he hung up the phone, he turned to me and said he needed a favour. The team had a van (bus by Australian definition) pulling a trailer with some supplies for the day and the van had broken. Most of the team went on ahead without the supplies, but a few people stayed with the van and trailer. We needed to find a tow truck to get the van to a garage and I went out to get the trailer. Well, when I found then, we hooked up the trailer to the car I was driving (borrowed since mine doesn’t have a hitch) and checked the lights; only to find they didn’t work. We found the problem (blown fuse in the car) and fixed it. We tried the lights again and blew another fuse. The wiring on the trailer was not set up right for the car so there would be no way to use the signal or break lights; but we still needed to get it back home. So I started back with another car on my tail being my signal lights for me and shortly before we got back, I saw some flashing lights and found a traffic inspector who had pulled someone over. I drove past him with much apprehension and stopped at a red light just a short distance along the road. Next thing I know, the inspector is pulling up beside me at the same light. Now I had a dilemma. If he ended up behind me in the turn, he could see my signals weren’t on, and if he got in front of me, he could see the same in his mirror. So I prayed quickly that God would blind him to me for a moment (we’re allowed to pray that kind of thing right?), then I made sure I kept him beside me through the turn and then drove really slowly so he would get out of sight before I had to make another turn. It just barely worked, as I made the next turn only seconds after he was out of sight, and I was thankful to be off the road.

On another topic, I went out with a group for a friend’s birthday yesterday. Ate some good German food, had a good time, got home late and tired, and took some good pictures. Here are some highlights.




The famous landmark. I hadn't seen it in a while so I had to take a picture... We drove to a train station and took the train to this spot, then got on a ferry for the remainder of the trip. Betty, you'll be seeing this place and likely getting a tour of the building while you're visiting!




Here are some of the guys on the boat. We tried taking a picture with the background in it but it was blurry because of the dark.






After dinner, we went to another place and some of the people started dancing.








...While others watched








And on the way home, I got this great shot. I really liked the way the lights and the stars in the clear sky were reflecting off the water. It would have been romantic if...

4 comments:

Betty said...

Yeah, I can't wait Larry! Actually, I can hardly believe I'm really coming to visit you.

I won't be able to do much to complete your "if..." though. Certainly won't have the same effect as it would if I were some other girl. Just not that romantic when it's your sister sharing the moment with you. But I'd love to have a travelling companion if there's anyone you want me to bring with me. All those hours in the airports & planes would give me a good chance to get to know her ;)

Anonymous said...

If you would go there together you would likely end up having a holiday on your own. So if you want to see Larry and do fun things with him then you had better go alone. That would truly be a "traveling" companion.

Anonymous said...

Nice pics. Hopefully kim and I can Make it next Jan. By then you should have a lot more great tourist ideas.

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a fun night out! Dancing and all...:) Isn't it great to have friends with birthdays? and to be able to celebrate them special days?!.:)
What an adventure pulling trailers and not getting caught.
gb