"I suppose that since most of our hurts come from relationships, so will our healing..." WM Paul Young





"Only after one experiences the incredible pain of loss, can he appreciate the unbelievable joy of restoration"

Larry Reimer

Monday, November 17, 2008

Goodbye, here I come

As we wind up for the Christmas season, my thoughts flood my mind. Yesterday morning I found out a friend of mine is flying home to America on Thursday and she won’t be back till after I leave, so I said farewell. It drove home the reality that I will soon be saying farewell to many of my closest friends over the last couple of years.

One of my housemates goes home two weeks from today and our paths won’t cross again till one of us take a vacation and goes in the direction of the other. He was my neighbour when I first arrived in Australia and we moved into the same house a few months later together with a few other friends who have since left. We’ve been a significant part of each other’s lives since we both moved to a new land and ended up becoming friends.

Then there’s my first connect group leader who was overcome with joy the second time she saw me (interesting story she’s a little embarrassed about).

There’s also my connect group; his amazing splattering of individuals who decided to come together and join under my leadership. What an amazing group of people!

There’s people I’ve done ministry with, ones I’ve done classes with, and still others I’ve done vacations with.

There have been so many people I’ve met and grown to love in the past few years and it’s not easy saying goodbye. But at the same time, I look forward to what lies ahead.

When I came to Australia, I prayed that God would help me to have a big enough impact that when I leave, I will be missed; that people will notice when I leave and wish I was still here. I also prayed that I would have trained up enough of the right people to fill my roles so the ministry and life impact will continue. I believe both prayers have been answered.

Goodbyes are nothing new. Some are for longer period than others, and some are more welcome than others. I remember the joyful comments of one man after quitting his job. He said he had never seen the company in a better way than “In the rear-view mirror for the last time.” I’ve also experienced the other type where there’s unimaginable pain with the knowledge of never seeing someone again this side of Heaven. I wouldn’t say I’m looking either of those in the face now, but it’s goodbye nonetheless. It’s a happy/sad time – kind of like sweet and sour meatballs – two flavours that shouldn’t mix yet when mixed in just the right combination, produce something really special.

One of the greatest blessings in my life right now is that I truly know there are people in multiple countries who all want more of my time. I could look at my situation and see the negative side of having to say goodbye, or I can look on the other side and realize that goodbye in one place is also hello in another. I therefore choose to look forward with anticipation to that hello.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

We for one will be more than happy to welcome you back home, but feel with you for all those good byes that need to be said. We can't even imagine what that must be like. May God be near and give you peace.

Elmer and Elfrieda

John R said...

I too look forward to having you closer to home and hopefully doing some things together. I also want to wish you well with the rest of your time there, and as you travel homeward.

Betty said...

I don't know about that sweet & sour meatballs illustration since they're not really all that special and actually made me gag the first time I ate them.

I feel for you in all the good-byes though (even though it means you'll be a little closer to home again).