"I suppose that since most of our hurts come from relationships, so will our healing..." WM Paul Young





"Only after one experiences the incredible pain of loss, can he appreciate the unbelievable joy of restoration"

Larry Reimer

Saturday, October 25, 2008

Part 3 - Things I'd rather not go home to in Canada

Well, it should be no surprise that at the top of this list would be the weather! My last two years have been spent in a place where people go TO the snow for a vacation. I’ll soon be back in a place where people go FROM the snow for a vacation.

Having sales tax added to the price of items in stores rather than having it included in the price and actually knowing the final price without doing the calculation first. But then again, doing this mental (pun intended) math regularly could be a good thing

Needing a block heater in my car

A government that takes 3 months to issue a passport renewal. But then again, I’ve had to deal with that government the whole time, just not as much.

Frost and fog on my windows for much of the year.

Winter parka – actually, just the need for one. Considering the need, I’m glad I have one.

French labels on pretty much everything - and those annoying people who intentionally turn the French side out to face me!

Wind-chill

Having to choose between English and French every time I call a government agency

The feeling of my nose hairs solidifying as I breath the -40 degree air - wonderful picture I know :-)

Icy roads

Well, as I look at this list, much of it is centered around the weather. No wonder the first thing people from around the world think of when they hear I’m from Canada is the weather.

4 comments:

Karen said...

Ahh...!!! the revelation is in your last paragraph... all this talk (complaining??) about the Canadian weather is a result of the comments you get about it from those who identify Canada by/for it's amazing weather/temperatures. I a bit shocked to see you being so easily influenced by all these people whom you could be "educating" about the wonders of Canadian weather. ;-) he he

karen (who is ready for a sweater and moccasins to try and warm up)

Kim said...

Weather.. that dreaded w word. It has more meaning for us who live in the more northern part of the world. Its not just Canada who experiences snow for 5-6 months of the year ya know! ;) Weather affects our daily lives. It decides what we wear. It decides just how far away from your house you want to go each day. It decides if your a/c or your furnace should go on. It can decide what line of work that one strives for. It can affect our moods, our sleep, and our attitudes. It can touch every part of life. What power!
Unless you live in a place that the weather is nearly the same all year around. :P So I guess Canadian weather (not just Canadian, but for the point I'll say it) is more interesting.. Did I just say that? Me, who would rather have the 365 days of sunshine? Hmm..
Still I think I'd rather have no snow. I feel very blessed to say its Oct 31 and no snow.. I thanked God this morning. I know I should be careful with that one, cuz likely it'll snow the very next day when I do that. But, I have today, with no snow! How lovely!
So, I'm not sure if this consoles you or not Larry.. lol.. cuz I feel for you and if I were you, I'd dread the Canadian winter too, hmm.. well, I dont have to be you to do that. I already do! LOL

Kim (who wants to turn up our furnace 1 more degree, its chilly in here..)

Betty said...

I think I mentioned something for this list in our last conversation, but I've forgotten what it was. Guess the good things about living in Canada are just SO good, the bad things all but disappear :)

Betty said...

Oh, now I remember! But it was actually for the "Aussie things I won't miss" list or the "Things I'm looking forward to in Canada" list: the quality of postal services (reliable in Canada, not so much in Australia).