"I suppose that since most of our hurts come from relationships, so will our healing..." WM Paul Young





"Only after one experiences the incredible pain of loss, can he appreciate the unbelievable joy of restoration"

Larry Reimer

Monday, September 15, 2008

News Time

I previously posted a message telling you about my plans to stay in Australia for another year. My intention was to take on a pastoral care role at church for one year and then move home to Canada and start life there again. Since posting that message, I have stepped into the role and applied for the visa that would allow me to stay the extra year. After being assured by the first immigrations official, I received an unexpected phone call from another one telling me that my file had been transferred and I was not going to be granted the visa for as long as I applied for. The promise of the other official meant nothing and published documentation regarding the rules around this particular visa also meant nothing; because ultimately, the decision is in the hands of a person; and in this case, I was met by a very grumpy and rude person indeed. She refused to give a valid explanation or to waver on her stance. In the end, I was granted a visa till January 15, 2009 and the deal was done. I could take the case to higher authorities but have decided to accept the decision and move home shortly after Christmas.

In the two weeks since that phone call, I have notified family and some friends of the change in plans and made travel bookings for my trip home. The news has been met with anger, frustration, and even tears as I told my Aussie friends of the decision. On the other hand, I was able to bring much joy to many Canadians. I personally have mixed feelings about it but believe that God must have something better for me somewhere else. What exactly that is I don’t yet know; although there appear to be opportunities already opening to me in Canada. In due time, it will all become more clear and I’ll step into something great.

So, my plans are now to leave Australia between Christmas and New Years, travel through a few African countries doing ministry with a pastor/friend of mine, and seeing some friends (including my girlfriend!!!!), then head back to Canada where I’ll see a few more friends across the country before arriving home in mid February.

Once there, my only plans are to wear lots of warm clothing to deal with the expected 70 degree difference in temperature from Aussie summer to Canadian winter, catch up with old friends I’ve missed for a long time, get back into my home church, and enjoy many of the things I’ve missed in Australia – the list is a work in progress…

1 comment:

John R said...

If I must say so, I recieve the news of you moving home with great excitement, however feel for you having to leave there before you had planned. I to trust the Lord will reviel His plans for you as you trust him day to day. See you soon.