"I suppose that since most of our hurts come from relationships, so will our healing..." WM Paul Young





"Only after one experiences the incredible pain of loss, can he appreciate the unbelievable joy of restoration"

Larry Reimer

Monday, July 07, 2008

5 star safety

Just like automobiles have crash safety ratings, so do computers - or now they do! Mine crashed very well (quit working in such a way that it doesn't turn on but I can still recover the data) so it gets a 5 star rating. I'm hereby asking for opinions and feedback on what to do with mine. It quit working and it looks like I'll be replacing it but I'm not sure what to do with it once that is done.

What I've thought of so far:
1. Use a hammer on it like I've dreamed of for the last year
2. See how high into the air I can throw it and see how hard it lands
2a. Repeat the procedure and take the average or the best result
3. Drive really fast down the highway and throw it out the window (can't do this though because it would be littering)
4. See what happens if I dump a jug of water or it's closest equivalent (Pepsi) over it

My girlfriend is sitting here telling me this sounds quite rage-full and violent, so I'll open up the discussion for other ideas. If any of you has something you have wanted to do to your own computer and didn't because of the cost involved, here's your chance - send me a message with your idea and I'll consider the different options suggested before destroying the beast. The more votes your idea gets, the greater the chance I'll use it.

Alternatively, I may go on E-bay and sell the right to tell me what to do with the computer. If I do this, there will be a couple of conditions (like I will do nothing illegal in the process) and I would record on video the process of what is done to the computer and send that video to the winning bidder.

In the mean time I'm using a friend's computer until I replace the old one, so I may not be on this blog regularly for a bit. (Ok fine, that's only an excuse, the real reason is that I'm busy with conference and with gb :) )

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Now that's a creative way of getting people to respond! You could see if anyone would trade something bigger/better for it and keep going until you get enough for another computer.

Betty said...

Mom says,
idea #1: send it to Africa. It might work better in that climate.
idea #2: if you think you have to go sky-diving, take it with you and let it go down before you, but hopefully you have a safe landing.
idea #3: go back to the old-fashioned way of communicating and save a lot of money.

Anonymous said...

well, when I worked in electronics, we sometimes got to remove various components from the "mother boards". If you have a soldering gun, you could start with that, and evaluate the quality of work that went into each component's placement.
But I was thinking that more important than that, is that perhaps you should remove the counter from your blog space (or up-DATE it with a new number). I'm surprised you and GB would take the time to spend on a computer, when there's all those wonderful sites to be seen out there. And, if you have time to be at the computer, you should perhaps be letting your family know how your vacation is going. TM

Kim said...

G'day! Ok I'm not giving advice for your computer.. Just want to say I'd like to see a pic of you and gb together in Austrailia someday when you've figured out your computer dilemmas. Hope you're having an Ace! time!

Anonymous said...

A turbo-charged (Methylacetylene Propadiene)potato cannon would work very nicely. Especially if the potatos are replaced with cans of ROOT BEER or other hard objects. Just remember the ear plugs.

John R said...

CR and I have been discusing the the possiblities of going bear hunting and I would love the chance to use it for target practice, however since all the airlines are starting to charge for all your baggage wether it is working or not, I fear it would probably cost you far to much to bring it home. having said that my second option was to through it from an airplane whne you go skydiving. Now if you use moms third suggestion, you won't get her blog entry so I made a copy if it to make sure you get it.
Mom says,
idea #1: send it to Africa. It might work better in that climate.
idea #2: if you think you have to go sky-diving, take it with you and let it go down before you, but hopefully you have a safe landing.
idea #3: go back to the old-fashioned way of communicating and save a lot of money

Ryan Tompkins said...

i caught the pepsi comment larry. that's ignorant, and it really hurts.

how was conference?

Anonymous said...

Good post.