"I suppose that since most of our hurts come from relationships, so will our healing..." WM Paul Young





"Only after one experiences the incredible pain of loss, can he appreciate the unbelievable joy of restoration"

Larry Reimer

Saturday, November 10, 2007

Time to rest - kindof

I'm glad to report that I have some free time!!! Actually, I'm much more than glad about that. I've been pretty stressed with assignments this week and they are now done.

For some reason, most of the assignments for the term are set with a due date in the same week near the end of the semester; so I had two oral presentations, two in class evaluations (counselling type scenarios) and seven written assessments all due this week. Thankfully, two exams that were scheduled for this week were changed to next week. Now for someone who plans ahead, this normally doesn't present a large problem; but for various reasons, most of the assignments cannot be started much before the due date.

My other problem with it this time around was that I was pretty much out of commission in the weeks leading up to assignment time. Between lack of sleep due to pain and discomfort in my new knee (and maybe one or two other reasons) and lack of brain power due to lack of sleep and excess chemicals in my brain from the pain killers, it was really hard to get things done. A few people suggested I get an extension for some of the assignments, but I wanted to be done so I pushed through and got the last one done 12 1/2 hours before it was due!

On other fronts, I'm sure (or hoping people care enough for this anyways) that you want to know where my knee is at... well it's roughly half way between my foot and the top of my leg :) OK, that was bad... I'm taking less pain killers and feeling less pain. I have about 90% of the proper mobility (70% pain free) but strength is lacking. The other day I was working on the strength and the machine I was on could measure up to 500. With my left leg, I hit around 270 and with my right leg, I almost got above zero. I've got a ways to go.

4 comments:

Betty said...

Glad to hear you've got some time off. Have you made any decisions what to do over the Christmas break?

Larry Reimer said...

Christmas break - relax, travel, go to the beach, hang out with friends, and get more involved in church. Other than that... clean up my room, clean the house, catch up on the financial market, do some tax planning and stock trading, decide which of the three (likely more as it comes closer) invitations to accept for Christmas day with a family, and maybe a few other things. Hopefully I'll find enough things to do...

Betty said...

You could always work on putting your puzzle of the Sydney Opera House together ;)

patti said...

Hi Larry,

I spent Christmas in Oz a few years ago. It's neat having a hot Christmas with, instead of hot turkey and mashed potatoes, cold turkey and potato salad. Soon you will see lime green and orangish coloured decorations instead of the darker green and red. When I was in Melbourne, I was fortunate enough to have a family take me in. The 'family Christmas' felt so different but mostly because Christ was not the centre of the celebration ... wasn't even a part of the celebration. The following day, I went to the larger family gathering where the hosts were Christians. What a contrast!