"I suppose that since most of our hurts come from relationships, so will our healing..." WM Paul Young





"Only after one experiences the incredible pain of loss, can he appreciate the unbelievable joy of restoration"

Larry Reimer

Friday, January 26, 2007

Miss me yet?

I think this is the longest time between posts since I started the blog. Sorry. The last couple of weeks have been a whirlwind of activity – just not the type of activity that makes for interesting blogging. Here’s the summary. Got up in morning and brought niece to school bus, went for lunch with friend(s), went to friend’s place for supper, out for evening, got home sometime after midnight – no point adjusting to Manitoba time since I’ll be back on Sydney time soon. I really enjoyed my time in Canada and for that I can thank the people there. Good as some of my activities were, what really made it good was seeing all of you. I didn’t get a chance to see quite everyone I wanted to see but hopefully you can understand. Now for the part you’ve all been waiting for…

“The sun is shining, I'm on the beach, its 33 degrees Celsius and I just got off the surf board after riding a 20 foot wave in.” I wrote this a few months ago in an email to someone who had expressed some jealousy over me going to Australia. I followed that by a sentence clearly stating that it was not true. This time, it’s much closer to the truth. I’m in my hotel room; the temperature was around 30, and I did ride a wave in on a surf board. I tried catching a bus to a certain bay to do some snorkelling but the bus didn’t show up so I had to find other things to do. Surfing was one of them. There are a few companies on the beach renting out boards and providing lessons. One of them had promised me the other day that if I took a lesson, they would get me wet and tired. Very true!!! And I even made it up on the board a couple of times to ride the waves. The tiring part is swimming out to sea against the waves.

I’m now in Hawaii and making the best of my layover on the way to Sydney. Clouds rolled in around noon my first day here so I decided it was not the best day for the beach. A little colour would be a good thing on my skin before I get back to the powerful UV rays of the Australian sun so there’s actually a good reason for spending some time on the beach. Oh well, I just went off to the next place and enjoyed the day at the Polynesian Cultural Center. Within the park are a number of different centers for different Polynesian countries. Each of them has some type of show or interactive display – very interesting. I only ended up on stage once as a “volunteer” after being singled out together with a bunch of other men and asked to come up. Until now, there have been stories of me dancing but no evidence – strange what you do when you don’t know anyone around.

Today I went out to Pearl Harbour and then got back to my hotel early enough that I thought I’d be able to go scuba diving. I checked into it a bit yesterday and thought the shuttle left at 2:30 so I should have an hour to spare. Well, when I called to book, I found out they actually left at 11:15. And what’s more, I can’t go tomorrow because I’m flying out Saturday morning and I can’t fly within 18 hours of diving!!! So instead of going scuba diving, I’ve rented a moped and plan to see if I can find my way around the island. Could get interesting since I don’t have a good map and my vehicle has a top speed of 40mph; but I’ve been told it’s easy (whatever that means coming from people who have done it a hundred times) so I guess I’ll soon find out.

One more day and then I get in the plane for a bunch of hours and head back to Sydney. If any of you are still jealous of me having this layover here, take a little bit of comfort in the fact that I have to leave my hotel at 5:15AM. It’s getting late and I need to get some sleep before my ride tomorrow but now you have something new to read. Hope you enjoyed. I plan to get some pictures up once I'm back in Australia.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

That sounds wonderful! We are going to a Polynesian Luau at church tonight. I will think of you while wearing Hawaiian clothing and eating Hawaiian food.

Anonymous said...

Did you get some good pictures of Pearl Harbor? (this is my first time putting anything on a blog... keepin it short, count yourself lucky!)

Karen said...

Yes, I have missed hearing from you already ~ so thank you for the update! Sounds like you are having a good time ~ with the exception of not getting to go diving. But I am curious why you aren't supposed to fly shortly after diving? Is it about the altitude changes?

Well, praying you enjoy the rest of your "lay-over" (otherwise know as a "holiday" ~ although i'm not speaking from experience there either), and your upcoming flight.

karen

Anonymous said...

We are adjusting to having an "empty nest", but we still do miss you and think about you! I especially miss you between 8:30 and 8:50 am!!! It sure doesn't take long to get spoiled. With taking you to the airport and with being sick, Mikayla has had a short week of school, so we haven't had to go to the bus too often. Next week will be tough!! It also seems wierd at night to have to be responsible to turn off the lights and lock the door again. We don't have as many big shoes in the entrance, but there are still other shoes we can trip over. Mini stick hockey isn't the same though. Sam actually recruited Grandma the other day to take your place!! Alex said your name the other day when he walked by your room. We are waiting for you to come home again!! Hope your new house mate are as happy to see you every morning as we were!! Love your family at home

Anonymous said...

Hi Larry,
Hawaii, that sounds like so much fun!
Right about now I could really handle 33 degrees Celsius. I too look forward to seeing pictures of Pearl Harbor.
gb