"I suppose that since most of our hurts come from relationships, so will our healing..." WM Paul Young





"Only after one experiences the incredible pain of loss, can he appreciate the unbelievable joy of restoration"

Larry Reimer

Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Olympic stories

I’m watching the Olympics. I’ve actually spent quite a lot of time watching them this week. There have been some embarrassing moments – like the gymnast who ran into the vault beam instead of jumping over it, and the weightlifter who lost his grip on the bar – 7 times! But there have also been some phenomenal moments like the swimmer who won 8 gold medals (the only American I could actually bring myself to cheer for) or the runner who took off from the rest of the crowd and complete obliterated the world record in the 100 meter sprint (with enough time left to cheer, wave his arms, hit his chest, and saunter over the finish line). But the one that stands out to me the most is the one I just saw.

As I watched, the commentator mentioned how this competitor had lost his wife in a car accident just one year ago. Having experienced something similar, I know how difficult life becomes and how this emotional experience has such a massive physical effect. Competing in the Olympics is a feat few can accomplish. Winning such a competition is reserved for the very few elite indeed. All competitors overcome obstacles along the way, but this is something others don’t realize the significance of; and something so significant I don’t care which country he’s from, I cheered for him. He was a weightlifter sitting in second place and to win the gold, he had to lift 10kg (22 pounds) more than he had ever lifted in a major competition before. I watched as he approached the bar, got into position, and prepared for the lift. I cheered as he strained and lifted 258kg off the ground, to his shoulders, and up over his head. Held my breath as he held it there for the required time, then smiled as he dropped the bar in triumph, jumped in the air, hugged his coach, fell to the ground in tears, then jumped and yelled with excitement. A lot of emotion for a grown man, but emotion justified. Way to go Matthias Steiner of Germany!!!

No comments: